Updated: Jul 2
Your kids are around all the time and have conveniently employed you as their personal Google search bar - asking questions like why is the sky blue? Why do we have to go to school? What is corner virus? You oblige, lovingly, knowing that you are a guilty frequenter of Google search bar and rely on it for all of your outrageous questions like - do penguins have knees? Do pigs sweat? And do worms have eyes? - No they don't. And how do you know Larry? I googled it, they have receptors instead. - Google is a versatile magic mirror gifting you the answers to your deepest darkest questions. We are a few months into the first lockdown of our life time and have found the rotational menu has gotten a bit old. The fam demands something new, something gastronomic, so what was the first recipe you looked up and what are the most common recipes Googled in lockdown? Aquafaba chocolate mousse?* Homemade McDonald's cheeseburger? Think again! According to The Daily Mail Australia we have taken to Google to find the best recipes for banana bread, pizza dough, hand sanitiser, french toast, chocolate cake, dalgona coffee, chicken breasts, carrot cake, minced beef, and fried rice. We have compiled some of our favourite recipes from our Slice Girls West kitchen as well as sourcing The Best Roasted Potatoes recipe from Adrian Barila's Barila Bakes insta.
Try these quick and easy recipes to bring some life back into your kitchen and bellies. THE BEST ROASTED POTATOES by Adrian Barila What you need: 6-7 Medium washed potatoes Salt & Pepper Rosemary & Cumin Olive Oil What you do: - Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. - Roughly chop 6-7 medium washed potatoes(no need to peel them unless you prefer to skin them alive) into 2 inch pieces. - Boil them in a saucepan of salted water until they are soft and well cooked through. - Drain and let the potatoes steam in the pot with the lid on for 15 mins (heat off). - Give the pot a violent shake until they look all craggly. - Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil on a lined(baking paper) roasting pan at 200 degrees. - Season your unsightly potatoes with salt, pepper, rosemary, a pinch of cumin and more olive oil to taste. - Add the weird looking things to the pan of hot oil, spread the out and coat in the hot oil. - ROAST them good until golden brown and crispy. - Serve and eat.
JUICY MINCED MEAT BURGER PATTIES What you need: Roughly 900g Minced Beef
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
1.5 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce What you do:
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and give them no other option but to get close and messy with each other. - Form the mixture into patties of your desired size, shape or character(aim for approximately an inch thick). - Heat the grill, pan, or whatever you wanna cook your patties on. - Drizzle some oil in the pan if you're using one. - Cook the patties for 2-3 mins on both sides until cooked through. - Serve the patties in a burger bun with your favourite inserts or just squeeze some tomato sauce onto them and eat 'em by themselves. Whatever floats your boat, your kitchen your rules. - Eat them.
Photo by Pexels
SIMPLE DIMPLE BANANA BREAD sans gluten and dairy
What you need: Wet ingredients 4-5 Medium ripe bananas, mashed to a pulp. 1 tsp Vanilla essence 1/4 cup Melted Nutelex (or olive oil, or regular butter if you don't sway that way) Dry Ingredients 1 1/2 cups Gluten free flour (or regular flour if you don't sway that way) 1 tsp Cinnamon 1/2 tsp Nutmeg 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda 1/8 tsp Salty salt What to do:
- Heat a hot box(oven) to 180 degrees celsius. - Line a hot box resistant bread loaf tin with baking paper, or liberally grease the inside with olive oil.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a big bowl. - Mix all dry ingredients in a bigger bowl. - Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix softly until just combined. - Pour combined mixture into lined or greased bread tin and lightly coax the batter to the edges. - Put it in the hot box and cook for approximately 35-45 mins. Check the bread -Cake? Isn't it a cake? Look me in my receptor and tell me it's not a cake? Okay, Larry. Let's just call it cread.- after 35 mins by impaling it with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, bearing no innards of the cread, it is ready, if not cook it for another 10-15 mins checking every 5 mins. - Lick the spoon and bowl (a very important step, do not omit). - Make someone else do the washing up because you just made them cread.
Photo by Airin Party
CHICKEN and CHORIZO JUMBALAYA What you need:
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Chicken breasts, chopped
1 Onion, diced
1 Red Capsicum thinly sliced
2 Garlic cloves crushed
75g Chorizo sliced
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
250g Long grain rice
400g Can tomato
350 ml Chicken stock
What you do:
-Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan with a lid and brown 2 chopped chicken breasts for 5-8 mins until golden. - Remove and set aside. Tip in the diced onion and cook for 3-4 mins until soft and translucent. - Add thinly sliced red pepper, crushed garlic cloves, sliced chorizo and cajun seasoning, cooking for a further 5 mins. - Stir the chicken back in with the long grain rice, add the can of tomatoes and chicken stock. - Cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the rice is tender. Apparently many Australians have asked Google how to make slime without Borax- here is our easy slime recipe sans borax. This is not edible! How to make slime: Slime w/ bubble bath:
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/d cup Coconut oil
1/4 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Bubble bath
Dust your clean kitchen bench with 1 Tbsp Cornstarch.
Put the mixture onto the lightly dusted bench.
Coat the mixture with more cornstarch and begin to knead until the mixture becomes like a dough.
Add colouring if desired and knead it in.
Add 1-2 Tbsp Water and work through until it has the texture of a slime play dough.
Clean up the mess you made and then go and play with your fresh slime dough. We asked our team members at Harry + Larrys what recipes they've googled in lockdown and chicken nuggets was first on the list. CHICKEN NUGGETS What you need:
Approx 225g chicken breast 1 large-ish egg A pinch of salt 1/2 cup Bread crumbs, plain 2 tbsp Butter, melted
What to do:
- Boil chicken breast in medium sauce pan of water for 20 minutes.
- Blend cooked chicken breast, 1 egg and salt in a blender or food processor.
- Roll the chicken mixture into desired characters or shape, and coat them in bread crumbs.
- Place the nuggets onto a lined baking tray. Drizzle with a little oil or melted butter to help them crisp up into golden nuggets of deliciousness.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Flip halfway through if you want both sides crispy.
All in all, the net hosts an array of distractions and inspirations that we would never have come across without it. - Like this cute turtle eating dragon fruit! - So go ahead and make that recipe you've been eager to make, but enjoy the outcome by sitting down net and distraction free. It'll make it all the more sweeter. What would you do without the net? Stay safe out there! Written by Ashton L K. * Aquafaba is the juice inside cans of chickpeas. Strain the can of chickpeas (use for a delicious curry or fresh salad) reserving the liquid. Place the liquid in a large bowl or mixer bowl, add 1/4-1/2 cup of fine sugar- can be coconut, brown or caster sugar. Whip at a medium velocity for a minimum of 10 mins until the aquafaba looks like whipped egg whites and has stiff peaks. Gently fold in 1/4 cup of cacao/cocoa powder and pour into jars. Refrigerate overnight. Separation may occur leaving a liquid at the bottom of the aerated mousse, use it as a chocolate sauce on pancakes or a wholesome drink.